Pages

Sunday 30 September 2012

THE INTEREST OF WOMEN CAN BE IN MEN



I have grown to understand the issues of women in society and have come to the realization that women are indeed the integral force of society. I know how my mom worked tirelessly just to raise Penny for me to climb my educational ladder, supporting my dad in every little way just to keep the family going.

I learned how to live a modest life from my mom, how she thought me to give due respect to anyone irrespective of my status in life. She thought me values and hard work but was quick to remind me of natural equity. Not to take undue advantage of things but to live by the rules of the game.

It is however regrettable that, 'today's women' would rather play on gender sentiments to attain achievement, great women who have written their names in the arsenals of history played by the rules of natural equity and justice not on gender sympathy. This development of playing on the pulse of Gender to attain self actualization is as dangerous as playing on ethnic and tribal sentiments and must not be encouraged in public sphere.

More interestingly, history has thought us that being a woman does not really mean you understand the issues of women better; it is refreshing that those who struggled for the rights of women were men; Martin Luther King Jr, Mahatma Ghandi,Raja Ram Mohan Roy, Ishwar Chander Vidyasagar, Jyothirao Phule, Haribilas Sarda, Maharishi Karve, Bhimrao Ambedkar, Jawaharlal and the likes, a path I am passionate to follow.

Men have by far worked as well to fight for women even at the peril of their lives. I have come to the realization that men understand the challenges of women better, and will be a disaster if women take advantage of their weakness to seek favour or their interest.

I Believe:

To empower women is to see women as strong partners not as weak ones who deserves favour because they are weak.

To empower women is to see women as workable vessels equally as good as men, working together as a team, holding hands together and leaning on each other to make it and extending a helping hand when we are all weak.

To empower women is to fight for society to change the Status Quo, where resources will be shared equitably, where women will live as men and men as women based on merit and not favour.

By: Samuel Creppy

3 comments: